- AM radio played commercial singles
- The live music scene was yet to take off and international artists didn't tour Australia often
- The only source of music was the nearest record store
- There were no independent way artists could reach the audience.
- Kids didn't have money and albums were expensive $5.75 - $5.99, (which was about a day's pay for school kids working after school or during the weekend). So we went to the store to listing, look at the art work and occasionally even buy an album.
- Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Album and Abbey Road: Everybody knew the Beatles, they were big news, they had a cartoon show, there music was often on the radio, even my mum had the Strawberry Field single :). My uncle had the Sgt. Pepper album it was the first thing we put on when went to his house. I love the overdriven guitar sound. Every song was magic
- Who Sell Out and Who Live At Leeds: I think Who Sell Out was my first album. It was cheap ($1.99) and I liked the album art. I hadn't heard the album before bought it.
- Beggars Banquet, Get your Ya Ya's Out: Beggars Banquet was my first full price album. I hadn't heard any tracks on the album. I bought it on spec thinking it was a bit more rock 'n' roll than the Beatles.
- Electric Music for the Mind and Body - Country Joe and the Fish: It was another cheap album with unusual album art. Psychedelic! Still love Section 43.
- World Of John Mayall: I bought this album because it was cheap, $249 I didn't know it featured Eric Clapton. What a revelation!
- Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits: For the casual fan a greatest hits is the best way to get to know Bob Dylan. By 1967, he had a considerable list of great singles.
- Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland, Band Of Gypsies: For some reason I delayed getting a Hendrix Album.
- Wheels of Fire Live, Best of Cream
- Iron Butterfly Live
- Pink Floyd: More & Relics
- Led Zeppelin II:
- Santana:
- Woodstock: And this changed everything. Thee wasn't much music on TV and this movie, in fantastic resolution and full colour was the first time to see such a great range of music at one time. It was all great music but I sat patiently for Jimi Hendrix, the closing act. And suddenly there he was I colour. It blew my mind. He sounded better live than in the studio. And then a triple album. Who could afford such a thing? Well one friend who earned real good money working at his father's business. Ten Year's After, Who, Santana and Jimi Hendrix played over and over...
Despite buying my first 10 or so albums on reputation, album art, price or at best having only heard the single from the album, everyone of them where outstanding. I'm not sure if it was even possible to buy a bad album during at that time. Quality sank during the '70s The only good thing on some albums was the Single.
My musical identity was largely formed by Jimi and I was destroyed when he died. Lot's of people thought it was amusing and too great pleasure in teasing that my hero had died, I sank into depression. It lasted well into my twenties, I completely missed the '70s and was lucky to survive.