14 January 2006

1981 Washburn Prairie Song F62SW

My guitar is an F62, which is is identical to the D62 (in the 1981 catalog page to the left) except the F62 just has a folk body shape. The review below is for a D62 but you get the idea.
Features: N/A
I bought this guitar 22 years ago. It's a Martin copy dreadnought. Looks identical except it says Washburn on the headstock and the Pickguard has a different shape. Rosewood sides, back, fretboard, spruce top.
Sound: 10
This guitar sounds identical to a Martin. At the dealer, I played all the Martins and decided on this one, because it was cheaper and sounded just as good. 22 years later, it still sounds as good. My friend has a D-28 and we can't tell them apart.
Action, Fit, & Finish: 10
Action was a bit high, but I ground down the bridge. Top finish on this particular one was darker, richer than the others. I liked that.
Reliability/Durability: 10
After 22 years, its in perfect condition.
Customer Support: N/A

Overall Rating: 10
I've been playing guitar for 28 years, and this is still my favorite guitar.
  • All solid wood construction
  • Select Aged Solid Spruce Top
  • Tuned Top Bracing
  • Solid Rosewood Sides and Back
  • Natural Hardwood Purfling
  • Mahogany Neck with Diamond Reinforcement
  • Natural Rosewood Bridge and Fingerboard
  • Natural Wood Pickguard
  • Bone Saddle and Nut
  • Pearl Inlaid Ebony Bridge and End Pins
  • Precision Cast Machine Heads - 16:1 Ratio
  • Nickel Silver Frets
  • Equipped with Washburn L-100 Strings