13 July 2005

1974 Fender Stratocaster - Daisy

Back in the late '60s - early '70s American guitars, especially Fender and Gibson were the gold standard in professional guitars and I wanted one just like Jimi. I didn’t know much about Strats when I bought this guitar in 1978. I was unguided and uneducated. In the 70's (pre-internet days) knowledge came from experience or word of mouth. I didn't know any experts and there wasn't much written advice available. I just assumed this guitar was the same as the blonde Strat used by Jimi at Woodstock. Little did I know this was one of the much maligned '70s Strats. During the period 1971 - mid '80s both Fender and Gibson sought to maximise profitability and compete with cheaper, arguably better quality guitars coming from Japan by:
  • Dramatically increasing production (i.e. lowering component cost and decreasing human effort);
  • Reduced quality of components, electronics, hardware but especially body wood ('70s Strats are usually heavier with some guitars 11 lbs. or more);
  • Less effort in guitar setup and quality control
This period of time also coincided with a number of innovations/changes that are that are associated with the bad reputation of '70s guitars:
  • 3 bolt / bullet truss rod / Micro-tilt necks;
  • Two string trees on the headstock;
  • Die-cast bridge:
  • Thinner necks;
  • Thick poly based paint finishes;
  • Lower output pickups;
  • Reduction in body contours;
  • Heavier weight;
  • Poorer quality construction.
So, is it a bad guitar?

Specification

Body

  • Body Material: 3 Piece Ash
  • Body Finish: "Thick Skin" Poly/Lacquer
  • Body Shape: Slightly Contoured Stratocaster

Neck

  • Neck Material: Fretted one piece maple neck with Micro Tilt adjustment
  • Neck Finish: Poly/Nitrocellulose
  • Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
  • Fingerboard Radius: 7.25” (184 mm)
  • Number of Frets: 21
  • Fret Size: Originally Vintage Style. Re-fretted with jumbo frets, probably 6105
  • Position Inlays: Black Dots (Maple), Narrow Spacing; Black Side Dots 
  • Truss Rod: Bullet type peg head adjustment with Micro-Tilt
  • Skunk Stripe: Walnut covering the truss rod route
  • Headstock: Large with CBS Black Logo and one patent number: 3,143,028.

Electrics

  • Pickups: 3 x Alnico 5 Single Coil pickups with Grey Bottoms
  • Poles: Flush Poles 
  • Magnet Wire: Plain Enamel 
  • Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck), Tone 2. (Mid) 
  • Switching: 3-Position Blade (converted to 5-position before 1978)

Hardware

  • Bridge: Die-Cast Tremolo 
  • Saddles: Die-Cast 
  • Tuning Machines: Schaller/Fender "F" Keys 
  • String Tree: Additional 2nd string trees for the D and G (in addition to the original string tree on the B and E strings)
  • Pick-guard: 3-Ply White, 11 Holes (config. modern) 
  • Control Knobs: White 
  • Pickup covers: White 
  • Neck Plate: 3-Bolt with stamped serial number

Colour

  • This is a blonde (but not transparent) colour according to the 1974 colour chart. It has become more of a honey blonde colour over the years.

Review

Features

My guitar was Made in USA around September 1974 with the notorious '70s features including:
  • Three bold neck (replacing the older 4 bolt necks);
  • Pickups with flat pole pieces (introduced in 1974);
  • Bullet style truss rod;
  • Two string trees on the peg head holding down the top 4 (D-G-B-E) strings;
  • Die-cast tremolo and saddles;
  • Heavier than 50-60s Strats at 9.34 lbs.
Less controversial features include: 
  • 5-way PU selector replaced the original 3-way PU selector at some time between 1975-78;
  • The neck (and fretboard) are one-piece maple with a U shaped profile and walnut stripe covering the truss rod route;
  • Blonde body finish with white pick-guard. 
  • Tremolo arm and bridge cover.
  • The guitar was sold to me with a Stamford Case. These cases were used with Strats sold in Australia during the ‘60s. My 1974 guitar should have come with an original Fender case. I sold the Stamford case and replaced it with an original 1974 Fender case that I picked up second hand.

Construction, Action, Fit, & Finish

There were issues with the guitar from day one:
  • The comfort contours, in common with most mid '70s Strats are more shallow;
  • The shaping is that the lower bout and neck pocket. The lower bout should meet the side of the neck pocket but this guitar has a ledge that protrudes about 4mm. beyond the side of the neck. it maybe cosmetic but is indicative of the poor quality control during the period;
  • Poor intonation, tuning stability/playability;
  • Thin/bright sound of the pickups;
  • Tight action/playability.

Sound

The Stratocaster is one of the most versatile guitars available with great tonal variety and well matched with Fender amplifiers. These tone is brighter and the volume weaker than 50s-60s guitars on this '70s edition. However, tone and volume can be addressed by adjusting the the tone stack and cranking the volume on the amp, which I find puts the amp sound exactly where you want it to be. The sound on the "in-between" positions of the 5-way pickup selector sound is somewhat muted, maybe due to higher resistance across the contacts of the 46 year old 5 way pickup selector switch.

Reliability/Durability/Maintenance

I can't fault the reliability and durability. It's been dropped and knocked over but just kept going. However, the tuning issues, feel, action and sound of the Strat prevented me bonding with the guitar. Way back in 1979, I tried to stabilise the tuning by replacing the original Fender tuners with Schallers, as was the rage back then. I thought so little of the Fender tuners I told the guitar tech he could keep them. While the tuners had a nice movement they didn't stabilise the tuning. I moth-balled the guitar while I travelled, went to university, had a family and focussed on my career.

I revisited the guitar in 2005 and since that time I have:
  • Replaced and 'Plek'ed' the frets;
  • Installed a new bone nut;
  • Initially, replaced the Schallers with re-issue Fender F-stamp tuners ( actually not the same as the 70s tuners and the guitar tech butchered the install) then;
  • Replaced the Fender re-issue tuners with the original 74 tuners;
  • Removed the 2nd string tree holding down the D-G strings;
  • Re-soldered outlet jack wiring, (the earth had been hanging on by a single thread for years.);
  • Cleaned the pots, remove corrosion and lubricated the 5 ways pickup selector to reduce resistance;
  • Adjusted the pickup height.
I think the action and playability of this Strat is now as good as any.

Summary

So is it a bad guitar?
  • 3 bolt neck: Doesn't seem to make any difference to stability or tuning.
  • Bullet truss rod / Micro-tilt neck: In practice a much easier to setup than the adjustment on 50s-60s Strats.
  • 2nd String Tree: The 2nd (D-G) string tree seems to cause issues with tuning instability.
  • Die-cast bridge: I've not replaced it with a traditional style bridge. I don't know if it effects tone and volume but I don't feel any need to replace it at this time.
  • Thinner necks: Yes. So what. I play a variety of guitars with thinner wider necks. Thinner necks seem to be the norm in both Gibson and Fender during the '70s. I don't care.
  • Thick poly based paint finish: The poly finish is thick and hard. I've read doesn't allow the guitar to "breathe" (whatever that means) the way nitro finishes do. I wonder if the thickness of the finish is a factor the heavier guitar weight?
  • Flat pole pieces and lower output pickups:  It sounds brighter and clearer than the 50s-60s Strats but it doesn't sound bad. It has it's own vibe. 
  • Reduced body contours: Yes but I don't notice that as an issue when playing.
  • Heavier weight: 9.34 lbs. probably due to the ash body. Strange to think that heavier ash bodies (theoretically producing better sustain) were desirable features for the '70s. While ash may have have been specified as a desirable feature, Fender seems to have sourced cheaper/heavier cuts of timber at the time. It's about the same weight as the average Les Paul, although still lighter than most bass guitars. It's not back breaking but, in retrospect, I would have preferred a lighter model. At least it isn't one of those 11+ lbs. monsters that I've heard about.
In summary, it's not a bad guitar. It plays well and sounds great but different from earlier Strats. A guitar that has long been a source of frustration is finally a guitar I'm beginning to love.

No comments: