12 January 2006

1965 Fender Electric XII - Gumby

Introduced in late 1965, this model had unusual split pickups, much like a Precision Bass. As with most twelve string guitars, its value is low especially compared to six string models. Designed by Leo Fender, the Fender Electric XII was introduced with the bulk of the production taking place in 1966. The model was discontinued around 1970. Unlike its competitors’ electric 12-string models, which were simply existing 6-string guitars with six more strings, the Fender Electric XII was a ground-up 12 string designed to capture part of the folk-rock market. The headstock was different from Fender’s usual 6 on-a-side shape, and is sometimes referred to as a "hockey stick". Leo Fender’s bridge design for this model is very simple, works well, and may be one of Fender's best designs of the 1960s. The bridge has an individual saddle for each string, allowing for precise intonation. A string-through-body design also helps to increase sustain. One interesting feature of the Electric XII was the fact that it was available in a selection of neck widths, wider, or narrower, depending on the players preference. This was mentioned in all price lists from launch until early 1968, however was no longer listed as an option as of July '68 literature. It should be noted that only one neck is listed within this part list, and no mention is made of it's width. Furthermore a few 12-Strings were given block inlays (as shown on sheet 1, below) but the majority had dots (as shown on sheet 4, below). Again no mention of this is made here. The model was discontinued by early 1969, and it is likely that production was already winding down; perhaps only standard size necks were being shipped at this time.
  • Mid 1965 Electric XII: Rosewood fingerboard with pearl dots.
  • Late 1965 Electric XII: White binding on neck.
  • Mid 1966 Electric XII:Rectangle position markers replace dots.
  • 1968 Electric XII: Black Fender decal. "F" style tuning gears replaces "Kluson-Deluxe" gears. Polyester thick finish replaces nitrocellulose lacquer.
  • 1969 Electric XII: discontinued.
Specifications
  • Body: Solid, 3-piece alder
  • Finish: Sunburst, nitrocelluslose lacquer
  • Neck: 1-piece maple, bolt-on
  • Fingerboard: Brazilian rosewood veneer, pearloid dot markers
  • Number of Frets: 21
  • Pickguard: Tortoise/white/black/white nitrocellulose laminate
  • Bridge: Fender steel, chrome
  • Nut: Plastic
  • Tuners: Fender, enclosed, chrome
  • Pickups: Two, Fender split coil
  • Controls: Master tone, master volume, 4-way rotary pick-up selector
  • Scale Length: 648mm/25.5”
  • Neck Width: 41.3mm at nut, 54.8mm at 12th fret
  • Neck Depth: 22.6mm at first fret, 22.7mm at 12th fret
  • Length: 42.5"
  • Upper Bout: 11.25"
  • Lower Bout: 13.75"
  • Body Length:19.00"
  • Body Depth: 1.625"
  • Weight: 8.64 lbs
  • Strings: (from original parts list)
    • E (01, 02) - .010p
    • B (03, 04) - .013p
    • G (05, 06) - .022w & 010p
    • D (07, 08) - .026w & .013p
    • A (09, 10) - .034w & 016p
    • E (11, 12) - .044w & .022w
  • String Spacing: 35.3mm at nut, 57.4mm at bridge
  • Guitar Case: Serial Number 129591 or 130221

Features: 9
It is a purpose build 12 string guitar and has more engineering than other twelves. My guitar is a late 65 or early 66 (I'm yet to check the neck). It didn't come with the original guitar case. I had a devil of a time finding a guitar case large enough as there aren't many electric guitars the size of XII. I used Fender Precsion Bass case (SKB freedom) that was large enough but subsequently found a '60s XII case. Weighs 8.64 lbs. which is pretty light for such a big body guitar.

Sounds: 9
The 
single coil pickups have a little more background hum than humbuckers but nowhere near as noisy as single coil Strats or Teles. The sounds are glorious. The four position switch pickup switch selects:
  1. Bridge + Neck (Out Of Phase)
  2. Bridge
  3. Bridge + Neck
  4. Neck
I've only played a Stratocaster 12, so I've no real frame of reference for the sound. However, I can say is that the XII has a great range of sounds covering: chime, jangle and swirling ringing sound - almost like an organ. Mr Tambourine Man, Stairway to Heaven are some of the sounds but it's great for Pogues also.

Action, Fit and Finish: 7

I can't fault the standard finish, fit or action.The guitar is generally in great shape today, it was advertised as near mint condition. The flame in the maple neck is as dramatic as any Les Paul cap! Unfortunately, there is some damage around the sides of the body. The guitar was fitted with a Fender (Jazzmaster) Back Protector. It must have had foam inside it to prevent rubbing against the body. This foam (or whatever) has deteriorated over the past 41 years and ate into the nitro. Bummer.

Reliability/Durability: 10
There is little evidence of playing wear so I'm guessing it hasn't been played alot over the last last 41 years. Aside from the damage caused by the back protector, the rest of the guitar looks as good today as it did 41 years ago. I'm guessing it will look just as good 41 years from now. The fittings, pickups and body are solid. The neck is a bat. Of course the nitro will fade and this just makes it look better. It's light weight (compared to my ‘74 Strat and Les Paul). While I wouldn't play a whole gig on 12 strings, the guitar is up to it.

Customer Support: -
NA

The Electric XII has been out of production since 1969 and Fender don't seem to have retained much knowledge about the guitar. There isn't any reference to the XII on the Fender web site.

Overall Rating: 8

The XII looks, sounds and plays great and it's a pretty good price for a guitar of this vintage. A rare find for Australia.

The electric XII often gets referred to as Leo Fender's best design of the 60s and his last design before the CBS takeover. It has a good reputation, being used by high profile players like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Johnny Winter (although he strung it as a 6 string), Cure and Sonic Youth.

I looked at Ricks (not too many around in OZ) and PRS 12/22 (too expensive), although only out of passing interest. I really wanted the hockey stick.

I don't think I would buy another 12 string guitar and even if I could find another XII don't think I would be anywhere near as good as this one. I certainly I couldn't afford to buy another guitar of this age.