Price Paid: 1780 (AUD) used Features: 8
1993 model made in USA. No modifications. 22 Frets. 3 piece solid mahogany body. Two volume + one tone control. Exposed 496R/500T pickup combination. Vintage sunburst finish. Standard Gibson hard case.
The guitar weighs 8.0 lbs, which is pretty light considering how big the body is and compared to my 74 strat (9.4 lbs) and Les Paul (10 lbs). The only thing I would have liked is a one piece body (which is unlikely outside the custom shop). Initially, I planned to replace the pickups with a burstbucker pair to more accurately re-create the 67 sound. I changed my mind reasoning that I should have bought custom shop Mahogany 67 if I wanted all the original features. The V will remain a stock 1993 '67 reissue. I didn't expect or want locking tuners or a floyd rose tremelo (which weren't options in 67), so the rating reflects expected features for the guitar.
Sound: 7
Over the years the V has been equipped with progressively hotter pickups, moving it away from an all purpose rock / blues vehicle towards metal. As already mention, these pickups are hot! (Especially the bridge position.) While there is a range of sounds available (as ASH demonstrate), it is too hot to be called a versatile guitar. However, it excels for metal and Hendrix/Who type 60s rock.
Action, Fit, & Finish: 8
I bought this guitar second hand. The guitar was in real good nick reflecting that it was well looked after by the previous owner. I had 9-42 strings. The dealer setup it up for 10-46. I have no problems with the setup. The neck is straight, the action is low and fast.
I have a few gripes with the overall finish:
- Where the lacquer where the neck meets the body as not as smooth as my Les Paul
- At certain angles the nitro finish seems a bit dull around the neck and where my hand rests across the top fin. I don't seem to be able to polish this out
- The pole pieces have minor surface rust.
Reliability/Durability: 8
The guitar seems pretty reliable and I would use it live without a backup. (I replace the strings when the D string breaks. For some reason this seems to break first).
I wouldn't want to drop test any Gibson. (My strat is bullet proof and seems to take any abuse.) Strap locks are essential for Gibsons. One thing to watch out for when moving around are the pointy bits, the headstock and fins. This is a long guitar and I seem to be always running into things.
Customer Support: 8
Second hand. No need for any customer support calls or repairs.
Overall Rating: 7
To my mind all electric guitars, before the V, evolved from of the acoustic guitar shape. (Even the strat evolved from the Telecaster / Precision Bass shapes). The V shape was revolutionary, perhaps too much for the 50s. The sound is all 90s.
I have been playing, off and on, since 1969.
The V shares a room with a 1974 Fender Stratocaster, 2003 Les Paul, Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 and a V-AMP 2.The V shape and sound polarise guitar fans. Either you love it or you hate. I love V shape and sound. Yes it's a speed machine and bit one dimensional.
I wanted a V for so long. I guess it is an exotic shape and your don't see many in Australia. I thought I would always have one my collection but I'm just not playing it much. It can be played sitting down but like when standing up, you need to watch out for the pointy bits. So it's not as comfortable to play as my SG or Tele and the sound isn't as versatile either.
No comments:
Post a Comment