2003, Made in USA. Solid flame Maple top, Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard. Light Burst with thick 50s neck.
Standard features (including the case) as it left the factory. I haven't fitted the pick guard. I rate the model pretty high because of the efforts over the past few years to get the standard closer to the original specs, although very few originals would have weighed in at 10 lbs.Sound: 8
I compare all guitars to my LP for sound. Nothing sustains, gains or goes crunch like a Les Paul. Hearing a good guitarist letting a Les Paul rip is a history lesson in blues / rock sounds over the past forty years, although it's not the same sound as an SG - AC/DC sound.
I play blues / rock style and use all pup positions but bridge most often. The Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups sounds are the best standard pickup combination I've heard in a Les Paul and certainly more versatile than the 496 / 500 pair in my Flying V.
My setup is Fulltone Wah -> Boss Tuner -> Fulltone OCD -> Keeley Compressor -> [Fender '59 Bassman; Orange Rockerverb; Rivera Pubster 25].
Providing you haven't got a lemon and have a good amp setup, most people, especially owners, would rate the sound pretty high.
Action, Fit, & Finish: 8
The guitar was setup in the shop where I bought it from so its hard to comment on the factory setup. I've had not no problems with the finish or setup.
The fretwork is very good but not as good as my PRS Custom 24. There is a small area just above the bridge where the flame fades out. I guess this is why it is a AA rather than AAA top. I've seen better and worse.
Reliability/Durability: 8
I've fitted Strap locks, and they are essential for all Gibson's but especially Les Paul's. It wouldn't survive a trip to the floor and neck breakages are common. The plastic panel mounting the output jack had a slight crack and was replaced by the dealer. Otherwise, Les Paul's are solid and will last a lifetime. I wouldn't play any gig without a backup.
Customer Support: The only contact I've had with Gibson is via email, asking general questions about my Les Paul and Flying V. They answer my questions within a couple of days so I was pretty happy with the response.
We don't get the "limited lifetime guarantee" in Australia. I fact it seems that warranty matters are left up to the dealers.
Overall Rating: 8
I've been playing off and on since 1969, playing my strat occasionally since the 76. I've just become really interested in guitars again in 2004, buying a long time want, the Gibson Flying V.
I've played Les Pauls before but didn't really understand what the fuss was all about preferring, flying Vs and SGs. I saw this guitar for sale on ebay. The shop was nearby and while I didn't intent to buy the guitar I did want to see what a "Light Burst" looked like in the flesh. Bad mistake. The moment I picked it this guitar, I knew I had to have it. It's not only the look, sound but it's feel really put the hook in. The Les Paul is an easy guitar to play and rewards good playing. I'm playing better than I ever and enjoying guitar more than ever. The only drawback being the weight. (Not many chicks play Les Pauls.)
The relatively cost of guitars has fallen over the years. I couldn't afford to buy a Les Paul in the 70s. Today they are more affordable than ever. The Les Paul Standard is (with the strat), the definitive rock / blues sound and a must have for my guitar collection which includes (PRS Custom 24, 74 strat and Flying V). I'm now an unexpected Les Paul convert. Gain, sustain, crunch & the pain (it's heavy) - it's a fine line between pleasure and pain.
No comments:
Post a Comment