04 January 2009

If only I knew then what I know now

Does every one need a hobby? Something extramural? I think so. Jack is a dull boy...

There are when ways to spend your leisure time and money: stock market investing, golf, fishing, boating, travel, motor vehicle racing, gambling, stamp collecting, video games, scuba, etc. In my case, I like, music and playing the guitar. One of these days I might even get good at it.

Anyway, I got back into playing seriously in 2004 after a twenty-five year break. I play better (i.e. average and occasionally good) but also enjoy it more than ever. However, it's been expensive learning process. I've bought a lot and sold some kit, all in search for my sound - tone. I've learned and am still learning things:


1. We're all individuals!
The right kit is a personal thing. Don't only be guided by reviews, artist or friend's endorsements. Demo any perspective purchase as much as possible but be prepared to flip it later. I reckon you need to live with the kit for at least a month using it in: home, studio, gigging before you can properly evaluate if it is fit for your purpose.

I bought a white '74 Fender Stratocaster with maple neck back in 1978, just like Jimi's. It does very good jangle and works fine for clean sounds but my inability to get the sound I wanted put me off playing seriously for 25 years!

In reality my '70s strat is heavy, the poly coated body doesn't allow the guitar to sing and the pickups are quite different - producing more treble but less power than the 50s - 60s equivalents. And then there is the non-staggered pickups, 3 bolt neck and general quality control issues. Of course, matching the guitar with the wrong amps didn't help either.

I probably passed on great 60s strats just to buy a new guitar just like Jimi's. Nobody was there to advise me (or if they were I didn't listen) and the whole vintage thing was yet to kickoff.

Lesson Learned: Buy an instrument that talks to you not one that's talked about


2. Buy quality
I've bought and sold, many guitars, amps and effects. Some because of poor quality others because they didn't work for me. One consistent theme emerges - you need to pay for quality, there are no shortcuts. That doesn't mean you should buy the most expensive kit (well known brand names generally cost more). It is better to have one great guitar, one great amp than lots of average instruments. Value for money is not the same thing as cost.

Lesson learned: Buy the best quality you can afford, you'll save time and money in the long run.


3. The experiment is complex
You can't change a single piece of your setup, guitar, effects path or amp, without altering the outcome. Even putting an effect in a different place in the path or changing a guitar lead will alter the sound. Even though the audience (or your band mates) may not hear it you will feel and hear the difference.
  • Some guitars/effects/amp combinations work for you. Some don't.
  • Home, studio and live (indoor / outdoor) sounds different.
  • Likewise, playing with a band is different from playing solo or at home.
  • And just to make it more interesting every adjustment to the actual guitar has an impact on the sound.
Lesson Learned: You can't change a piece of the signal path without altering the sound. Change one component at a time and take time to test the change in all situations.


4. Keep playing
Your rig is for playing not collecting. Your musical tastes will change overtime. What works today, may not in the future. So, be prepared to sell (and regret).

Lesson Learned: Don't be hung up on the kit. 90% is technique. You must have good quality kit. Top equipment gives the final 10% but that'll cost ya. It takes a long time to fine tune your sound (I'm still not there) so keep practicing. See rule 1 and expect change.

Where am I today?

Electric guitars: If 2009, SGs were my favourite but a Les Paul and '62 style strat were also regulars . I've since sold Gibson Flying V, PRS Custom 24, Telecaster. I still don't play the Fender X11 as much as I should. In 2020, I rotate through my LP, SGs, 335 but strats and my tele are the main squeeze now.

Other guitars: Gibson Hummingbird was the only acoustic I ever wanted. Probably should have checked out a Martin but the Hummingbird will do. in 2009, I wanted a Fender Jazz Bass but got a precision bass instead. In 2020, I now have a '64 Fender Jazz Bass (sold the precision)

Fretboard: I like rosewood and ebony fretboards. In 2009 I didn't like maple much. Now I regularly play maple Strats and my Tele.

Effects: I like overdrive, fuzz, compression, delay, chorus and tremolo. I'm not sold on multi-effects. They seem a compromise and it's all or nothing if you have a failure. At least you can take one faulty pedal out of discrete setup.

Amplifiers: Fender Bassman (Fender clean to warm overdrive at volume), Orange Rockerverb (Clean and Overdrive), Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb and Fender '62 Princeton.

Weight: I don't have a roadies so I prefer a minimalist approach. So no heavy / big amps, (although nothing sounds like a Marshall stack) and one or at most two guitars per gig. The Orange sounds great but it's too hard to move around.