15 September 2014

Joe Bonamassa - Sydney Concert

Just went to see Joe tonight. Didn't know much about him but a friend from work arranged the tickets so I was interested. I like blues guitar so I figured it would be ok.

He did two sets, one acoustic and the other electric. The acoustic was full of various styles and good fun. The electric set better and worse. Let down by too much guitar riffosity. It's a shame because he has a fantastic array of blues and jazz riffs. Lot of double stops too. The problem with rock riff is to begins to sound the same and one he let loose a few light riffs you've seen it all. It's not a joe problem, moreover it's a rock problem.  When is too much too much. When you play a note,a let it feedback for 20 seconds. Jimi did that on machine gun. It's not hard and old hat now. His runs are lightning fast and precise if not liquid and he seem to fret hard at the bottom of the run.

Everybody in the band got a solo on one sone but the drum solo was thankfully short.

The real surprise is his voice. He's famous for being a blues guitarist but he has an outstanding voice.

The encore was one sone that went for 15 minutes. I would rather hear 5 short 3 minute songs played in quick succession.

Anyway, he could back off on the rockery a bit and play more of those lovely blues/jazz riffs. 4.5/5
Recommended and I'll go with more of my friends next time.