30 December 2012

Vacation 2012 - 24/12/2012

I take holidays when I can get them so I'm thinking we should go overseas. I think Costa Rica. My wife thinks Thailand. So we are going back to Thailand for the first time since 2009. I left my run too late and economy to Thailand is $1800 return and no option of premium economy. As expensive as economy is business class with Thai airways with a side trip to Ho Chi Minh City at $3800 is really quite good. It quite an extravagance but I've never travelled business class with the family so what the hey we're off.

So what do you get for the extra $2000?

1. We'll you get to go through the business class lane which is ok with Thai because there are not many frequent fliers in the queue in Sydney. There was nobody inline in Sydney so we got to check-in without delay and my sister in law (in economy got to tag along too)
2. You get an extra 10 kgs. of free luggage which meant my wife got to take 60 kgs for herself and Nicky and I got 30 kgs. between us.
3. You get to go to the (Air New Zealand) lounge which was good because we hadn't had lunch.


4. You theoretically get to board first. That didn't work to well because I was unsure when to queue and the world we're queued up in front us. Thai wanted families with small children to board first but there we're no families with small children in business class.
5. The cabin is quite roomy with enough space to stretch out. That was a real bonus in the upstairs business class.



6. You get a good (not great) meal of several course with real cutlery. Ma'am and I had seafood.



7. The flight leaves and arrives at a reasonable time. Left Sydney 17:05 and arrived Bangkok 22:35 local time. It was the most relaxing long flight I've ever flown.

The only down side was missing Xmas with the family.