Overview
All valve, 50 watt, channel switching head with valve FX loop and valve driven reverb. This amplifier utilises a a two stage clean channel and a four stage dirty sound. The clean channel on this amp is one of the smoothest and cleanest ever produced and produces a unique power valve overdrive when pushed to the max. The bass and treble controls are interactive with each other thus giving a wide range of superb tones from a channel with only three controls. The dirty channel is liquid fire! This four stage gain machine can produce anything from an articulate clean chime, through all the classic rhythm / crunch sounds with original Orange character; all the way up until you reach a gain level that is quite simply outrageous. The quartet of 6V6 output valves and a new exclusive F8 output transformer design, help give the Rockerverb 50 its uncompromising tone. Although more expensive to produce, the sound is so special we believe it excels way above the specification of current high-end valve amps.I was looking for a Thunderverb 50. There are more features like Attenuator and can be used as a bass amp. However I'm glad I got the Rockerverb:
- $$$: I saved about $1500 (on list price) with this eBay deal on a new amp (demonstrator) with warranty.
- Volume Control: I don't miss the attenuator as the RV50 sounds great at home and I can use the guitar to control volume control for variation live.
- Distinctive: 4 x 6V6 output stage has it's own distinct creamy sound (Thunderverb has 2 x EL34 output stage)
- Gain: Dirty Channel is four stage gain vs. three stage for the Thunderverb
Features
- Controls: Clean channel: Volume / Bass / Treble; Dirty channel: Gain / Bass / Middle / Treble / Volume; Reverb control; Both channels foot switchable
- Features: Reverb, FX loop, Output value select, Failure fuse
- Valves: Preamp uses 3 x ECC83, Output 4 x 6V6, Reverb and FX Loop use 2 x ECC81
- Speaker Outputs: 1 x 16ohms, 2 x 8ohms
- Dimensions: 55 x 24 x 28cm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 24 KG
My Orange virus started with a Tiny Terror. A great amp for home and studio. However, the TT lacked tone variation with no big clean sound and the Gibsons sounded a bit dark on high gain. Also, I wanted tube reverb and channel switching. (Mind you, I miss the light weight and looks of disbelief when the TT was cranked.)
One point deducted for the weight of the amp and cab. While the solid construction is part of the Orange vibe and gives a really solid sound, it's a bitch to carry and on the limit of what I'm prepared to carry around (I need help to carry the cab). I certainly wouldn't have considered the combo version.
I considered a number of other amps including Marshall, Mesa Express and Vox. I wanted a reasonable weight, great clean and overdrive/distortion channel, tube reverb and sound good at low and high volumes. The Rockerverb best fitted my requirements and what a glorious sound!!!
Sound Quality: 10
Clean is nice but a bit 'ice-picky' (ie. sounds quite compressed) on low but warms up nicely with volume at about 12 o'clock. I often read where people compare their amp's clean channel to Fender clean. Well, Fender clean is a benchmark but it's implausible to say that any non-Fender amp it is as good or better. In the end, it's either copying Fender or it's a different kind of clean. In this case, the Rockerverb clean has nice chime and quite distinctive with the 4x6V6 power stage, but it's not really in the same league as the Fender Bassman.Dirty goes from clean, through mild to wild overdrive (and through to metal if your really want to go that far). On full gain, sustain goes on forever. This is the first amp I've used, where backing the volume works for controlling lead and rhythm. On the dirty channel, the distortion really swells when you max out the volume. I leave my compressor and overdrive pedal at home as I can get both from the amp.
All time-based effects go through the effects loop. It's the best effects loop I've used. I'm really surprised by the flexibility of this amp. I can use it at home, studio and for live gigs.
Both channels warm up nicely past 12 o'clock. I couldn't be happier with the sound. Crunch, massive overdrive, clean, reverb. Great linear control of sound from bedroom to live.
I use all my guitars with the amp and all sound good.
- Gibson Shop: '59 Les Paul, SG Custom
Gibson: SG '61, SG Classic, Flying V- Fender: Strat, Tele, XII
PRS: Custom 24
Reliability
Earlier RVs had reliability problems (especially the reverb wiring) when first released but I think they production issues are resolved now. So far no problems at all so Orange must have ironed out all the initial production problems.Customer Support
I wrote to Orange but received no response. People are critical about Fender but at least they respond. I don't feel very confident in their warranty.Final Thoughts
I considered a couple of amps:- Marshall: so many different amps to choose from (I was confused) and anyway Marshall's don't seem to look right without a 4x12 bin
- Vox: I like the rock sounds but after a bit more gain
- Fender DeVille: Too heavy, Too Loud (horrible volume control) but great clean and reverb, Drive OK. Potentially unreliable with power stage tubes mounted on the main PCB. Sold.
- Fender Twin-Amp: Way too heavy and way too hot. Power stage overdrive would be stadium loud. Drive channel is disappointing. Great Clean, Reverb and Tremelo. Solid construction and probably more reliable than the DeVille. Sold.
- Fender '59 Bassman: one of the original tone demons. The clean and warm overdrive (albeit at considerable volume) are features.
- Fender Rumble - Got this as part of the deal with my P-bass. I rarely play bass, so I will use my Fender Bassman. Not a great amp. Sold.
- Orange Tiny Terror: Great A class amp for home and studio. The amp needs to be cranked for live/band practice (i.e. climb over the drummer) which means distortion and not much head room or touch dynamics. In any case, the Rockerverb covers everything the TT can do and more (of course the penalty is weight and size). Sold.
- Rivera Pubster: Great small/home amp and worthy successor to the Fender Super Champ. However, I always really wanted a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Sold.
As I said before, I was looking for a Thunderverb (i.e. jack of all trades) but heard somebody playing a RV50 quietly in a guitar shop. It sounded really great. I did my research and tested the RV50 and found it was exactly what I was looking for and the price clinched it.
I think the amp was made in 2007 and I bought it in 2008.
In terms of the music I play the RV50 is perfect for my requirements. Great clean/dirty channels, reverb, channel, reverb switching and tube effects loop.
Sold. Lack of use and concerned about the long term maintenance of PCB based amps.
