21 March 2008

Sapphire Blue Gibson SG '61 Reissue

This is my beautiful new Gibson SG '61 reissue in Sapphire Blue. I wasn't after a new guitar but it was going for a song. How could I refuse? I guess I'm now a hard core SG guy and I'll need to sell my other guitars to make room for the Sapphire Blue and concentrate on making music rather than buying guitars.

FEATURES

It's a regular '61 SG which I like: light weight, fast neck, fantastic sound and looks. The spec is the same as current '61 re-issues expect for the sapphire blue colour. It was made in USA, June 7 2006 and it's light at 7.4 lbs.
Body
  • Species: Sculptured mahogany (cf. All '61s have more edge bevelling, as per original SG shape, than the "slab body” SG Standard shape introduced in 1967. Given that the bevelling is done by hand and takes time there are slight variations from guitar to guitar. My 2001 '61 Reissue with Maestro has more bevelling than the Sapphire Blue. I guess a fair bit of effort and time went into recreating the '61 with Maestro. Less beveling on '61 overtime probably has more to do with production schedules and the time taken to create extra bevelling. There are some parallels to the decreased bevelling on '70s Strats.)
Neck
  • Species: Mahogany
  • Profile: 1960 slim-taper (cf. Standards now feature a '50s rounded neck). Given the '62 reissue was marketed as “the fastest neck in the world”, Gibson should market the thinner '61 neck as the fastest in the universe!
  • Neck Joint Location: 22nd fret (cf. Standard joins at the 19th fret) Long Neck Tenon
  • Head Inlay: Holly Inlay, Large Headstock (cf. The standard holly headstock inlay is located lower on the headstock, and the headstock is smaller)
Fingerboard

  • Species: Rosewood
  • Number of Frets: 22
  • Scale length: 24 3/4"
  • Nut Width: 1 11/16"
  • Inlays: Trapezoid
  • Binding: Cream single-ply
Hardware
  • Plating Finish: Nickel (cf. Standard uses chrome)
  • Bridge: Tune-O-Matic (cf. My 2001 '61 has an ABR-1 bridge.)
  • Tailpiece: Stopbar (cf. My 2001 '61 has the Deluxe Lyre Vibrola)
  • Knobs: Black Top Hat with silver inserts and knob position indicators. (cf. Standard doesn't have position indicators). Placement and alignment of controls and output jack are closer to the edge of the guitar on '61 re-issue (cf. Standard controls are further from edge)
  • Pickguard: Gibson® 1961 SG Pickguards in 5 Layer B/W/B/W/B (cf. Standard larger “bat wing” pickguard)
  • Backplate: Placement and mounting as per original '61s i.e. four screws (cf. standard has larger backplate with different placement and is fixed with 5 screws)
  • Tuners: Green Key
Electronics
  • Neck Pickup: '57 Classic humbuckers (cf. Standard has 490R Alnico magnet)
  • Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic humbuckers (cf. Standard has 498T Alnico magnet) (cf. My '61 with Maestro has a '57 Classic Plus in this position)
  • Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
Strings
  • Brite Wires 0.010 - 0.046
Colour
  • Nitrocellulose - Sapphire Blue (technically speaking this is not an original, i.e. '60s colour)
Case
  • Interior: White Plush
  • Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell
  • Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo
So the differences between my two 61'reissues are:
  • Heritage Cherry vs. Sapphire Blue
  • ABR-1 bridge vs. Tune-O-Matic bridge
  • Maestro vs. Stopbar
  • '57 Classic Plus vs. '57 Classic in the bridge position
  • Hovland Capacitors vs. Standard Capacitors
Another variation on the classic Gibson formula: 24.75" neck, 22 frets, two humbuckers, etc.
SOUND – 8
I play rock/blues, so the SG is a good match for the job. Humbuckers are at once familiar (I have a Les Paul and Flying V) but different. The sound is dark, hollow, chiming. I don't know whether it is the 57 pickups or the non-cap mahogany body. Probably a combination of both. I'm yet to note any difference between the 2001 '61 and this one.

There is a big difference in tone when switching between the neck and bridge PUP and overall the sound is not as bright as the Les Paul. The SGs slightly different sound allows me a good contrast with ubiquitous Les Paul and Stratocasters. It's not as tight as an Les Paul but the that wondering / tremolo effect can be quite effective if done right.


ACTION, FIT & FINISH
Factory finish is OK but metal flake tends to crack over time. The guitar is in good condition considering it has been on the rack for more than a year. No nicks or scratches. This only couple of minus points are:
  1. The nickel has started to tarnish a bit, (well it was only a matter of time before that happens anyway).
  2. The blue finish is so thick that it has filled the serial number to the point it's hard to read.
  3. String action seems a bit low but I'll have to play it a bit more before I tinker with the setup.
  4. The gloss on the finish is worn off in a couple of places. I don't know whether this is because the nitro has been hanging on a rubber guitar hanger or it the factory finish wasn't perfect.
Otherwise perfect setup, good intonation and not to much buzzing. So far, I've ony replaced the strings and I'm ready to rock.
The neck feels fantastic - thin, flat and wide and a good solid neck joint. However, SG neck joints are viewed as a bit suspect.

RELIABILITY/DURABILITY
The most suspect area for reliablity /durability for all set neck Gibsons, in general, and especially SGs is the neck and headstock.
Original SG Custom and Standards the mahogany tongue from the neck only extends about 3/4" inch into the body. Having said that, I've not seen many breaks at the body joint. Most breaks occur at the headstock and this is a common problem with all Gibson's. This means the neck joint is not as solid as say a Les Paul and while allowing great neck vibrato you can't get too aggressive with an SG neck. I've even seen brand new '61 reissues with small cracks in the lacquer (not through to the timber mind you) around the neck. Having said that, most SG neck failures (and Gibson in general) occur at the headstock after being dropped and the neck joint on the '61 re-issue seems quite solid extending right up under the neck pickup.
The neck and body on my guitar are perfect. I will fit straplocks ASAP.
No problems apart from the lying about in the shop for so long. It's best to travel hopefully, so let's hope there are no problems.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT
On past occasions Gibson have been helpful with questions. Not sure how well they handle warranty issues.

OVERALL RATING
All the the names have played the Gibson SG including: George Harrison, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Carlos Santana, Robbie Krieger, Jimi Hendrix and the three most often associated with the SG: Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend & Angus Young. To my mind, EC and PT did their best work with the SG. The SG was the goto Gibson rock guitar for the for the 60s and remains one of the most popular today.
I've been playing since 1969 and enjoying guitar more than ever. My guitar collection includes most of the guitar icons: Strat, Telecaster, Les Paul, Flying V with the unusual Fender XII (most usually think of Rickenbacker as the definitive 12 string electric) “hockey-stick”and a single concession to modern guitars, PRS Custom 24.
My SGs: 2001 '61 with Maestro, SG Classic and this Sapphire Blue '61 are my main guitars. While, I have many other guitar guitars, for some reason I've bonded with the SG. I love the, sound: (crunch, scooped, bell-chime), light weight, great guitar feel and action, and Devilish good looks.
While the Sapphire Blue colour would probably not be an SG lover's first option that would be Heritage Cherry, I have the luxury of two heritage cherry SGs already. I think it is very distinctive and as I'm into the "the blues" the Sapphire Blue is both distinctive and links into my musical taste.
I've got lots of guitar but this guitar is my main squeeze.
Never say never, but I think there will always be an SG in my arsenal.