23 July 2007

Gibson SG Classic

Like my 61 re-issue with Vibrola this is a guitar that I have wanted to see in the flesh, play and maybe even buy for a long time. The Gibson Classic, while once a regular model, is now only available from guitar center or musicians friend in the states, so I wait a while.
My guitar is made in USA and stamped 348 day (14 December) 2006. It weighs 7.1 lbs, which is real light. My next lightest guitar is the SG 61 re-issue weighing in at 7.4 lbs.

With it's dot markers, button tuning keys, white neck binding and P90s, is a similar theme to '60s SG specials. Of course the tune-o-matic bridge didn't feature on any '60s special, but its a welcome addition to a modern classic.

The Advertising
Gibson USA is proud to introduce, for a limited time, the SG Classic. Inspired by the late 1960s SG Special, this hot new guitar faithfully recreates the look and sound of the SG that helped define the most famous era of British guitar pop and the American psychedelic movement. Featuring an all-mahogany body, dual P-90 pickups, and a bound dot inlayed fingerboard, the SG Classic fills the missing link in Gibson's hotter-than-ever SG arsenal. Available for a limited time in two translucent finishes - Heritage Cherry or Ebony Stain.
Features – 8
I'm going to have to re-appraise the features of all my guitars. There's no point in comparing a Telecaster with a guitar synthesizer! The features should compare the guitar design specification with the intended purpose, or market. In the case the Classic is an update on original 60s Special formula, with the Tune-o-Matic being an obvious and welcome addition IMHO.

  • BODY: Beveled mahogany
  • NECK/PROFILE: Mahogany/Rounded SG
  • FINGERBOARD/INLAY: 22 fret Rosewood - Pearloid Dot Inlay
  • SCALE / NUT WIDTH: 24 3/4"/11 1/16"
  • BINDING: White fingerboard
  • BRIDGE/TAILPIECE: Tune-o-matic / Stopbar
  • HARDWARE: Chrome/Vintage white button tuners
  • PICKUPS: Dual P-90
  • CONTROLS: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
  • STRINGS: Brite Wires .010-.046
  • COLOR: Nitrocellulose. Heritage Cherry. It is much darker than my '61 reissue and yet both are apparently heritage cherry. Why so much color variation? Surely this is not heritage? Woops, I think I just answered my question.
  • CASE
    • Case Interior: White Plush (no shroud!)
    • Case Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell
    • Case Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo
The casual observer (e.g. my wife), you would reckon there's not much difference between the Classic, a Standard or the '61 Reissue. While the Classic seems to be based on the current SG Standard, there are some obvious differences:
  1. Pickups: P-90 in Classic - 490R in the neck and 498T in the bridge in Standard - 57 Classic Humbuckers on '61
  2. Neck Joint: 19th fret on Classic and Standard (The rhythm pickup is mounted slightly further from the neck, which means the neck joint extends slightly further into the body on the Classic) - 22nd fret on '61
  3. Tuners: White button tuning keys a la 60's SG Special style. (A lot of people replace these with Grovers or "tulip" Klusons but they are light weight and work reasonable well and don't make the guitar neck heavy so they'll stay in tune on my Classic) - Green tulip style Klusons on Standard and '61
  4. Back Inspection Plate: 4 screw back inspection plate on Classic - 4 screw back inspection plate is similar shape but different location on '61 reissue - Standard has larger 5 screw plate
  5. Neck Thickness: Classics and Standards have the thicker '50s profile necks (my classic is slightly thicker my friends Standard so there maybe be some variation from guitar to guitar) - '61 reissue has the thin '60s profile
  6. Fret Markers: Dots on Classic - trapeziod on Standard and '61
  7. Neck Binding: White on Classic - Cream (aged) on Standard and '61
  8. Headstock: No inlay on Classic - Crown (holly?) inlay on Standard - '61 headstock is larger than Classic and Standard, and the crown inlay is slightly higher on the headstock
  9. Truss rod cover inscription: Classic on Classic - SG on Standard - No inscription on '61
  10. Pickup selector switch toggle cap: Black on Classic - Cream on Standard and '61
  11. Switch washer imprint: White imprint on Classic - Gold imprint on Standard and '61
  12. Case: Classic has a Gigbag (I bought an SG case - it has white plush, wich is apparently the standard plush now) - both Standard and '61 have hard cases
  13. Pickup Selection, Control Layout and input jack location: Both Classic and Standard have the Selector, Controls and input jack further from the bottom bout of the guitar - '61 much closer to the buttom edge.
  14. Bevelling: Classis and Standard have a similar bevelling on the body. The '61 has more bevelling on the front and less on the back.
Visually similar but with different: body, hardware, electrics and neck, they are effectively two very different guitars. In summary, I don't know what more features you could expect without dramatically changing the formula.

Sound – 7
The pickup positioning is quite different from the regular Gibson Humbucker layout. I'm yet to take the scratch plate off, but reckon the pickup routes are custom for the classic, and similar, like the Pete Townshend Special.

The classic single coil sound is not like a Fender, PRS or of course the Gibson SG Standard. It grunts, snorts and growls. Sure the single coils are noisier than humbuckers but not as bad as a Stratocaster. The sound is absolutely perfect for rhythm, thins out a bit for lead, so I'm still trying to perfect the lead guitar sound.

I play rock / blues, so the SG Classic is a good match for the job. You can hear the ghost of Pete Townshend - Live at Leeds.

My effects / amp: SG classic -> planet waves guitar tuner -> Keely Compressor -> Fulltone OCD -> Marshall Regenerator -> Boss DD-20 -> Fender '63 tube Reverb -> Fender '59 Bassman LTD

Action, Fit, & Finish – 8
The finish is good but not perfect. Certainly not as well finished as my Les Paul. I thought the the four control where misaligned. However, I've noted that the 2001 Gibson Pete Townshend Special and current standards have the same placement. So I guess this alignment is per current Gibson spec, i.e. not the same as 60s SGs or my '61 Reissue.

It's really light weight but not neck heavy, (the white button tuning keys help keep the weight down). Strings bends are not as easy as the '61 reissue (I think the Vibrola helps here)


Reliability/Durability – 8
SGs have a notorious reputation for reliability with neck breaks common. However, I don't see any reason why it can't be as reliable as any other guitar if you look after it. Looks solid to me and I would rely on it for live work. Build is up to SG Standard quality.

I've replaced the strap buttons with Schallers (be careful with the screw length. There's not much timber in the neck position and you don't want to drill through the truss rod).

Customer Support – NA
I dropped Gibson Service a note asking for more information about the model and received a response in 24 hours. I hope there is no need for warranty repairs as it would be difficult to return to the states for repair.


Overall Rating – 7
There are no names associated with the Gibson SG Classic. It's a modern interpretation of a guitar lost in the mists of time. However, the sound must be close to an original late '60s (batwing) SG special and as such Pete Townshend or Santana material are obvious comparisons.
The Classic is extraordinary value for money. I wanted a great sounding (everybody raves about the P-90s), cheaper guitar that I can bash around - not worry so much about. However the quality is just as good as the SG Standard and I'm fussing over this guitar they way I do over my most expensive guitar.
It's hard to believe you can get a Gibson of this quality for this money (discounted US prices):
  • SG '61 reissue - $1899
  • SG Standard - $1429
  • SG Classic - $899 (with gig bag)
  • SG Special - $949
So, in summary, doesn't have the wide range of sounds or gain/crunch/sustain of my '61 re-issues but it is a great rock/punk guitar. Outstanding value for money. Would I buy another - in the blink of an eye. There is NO BETTER way to get: P-90s sound, Gibson name and quality at this price. The only down side is that the Classic is only available in USA from Guitar Center or Musician Friend :-(

No comments: