
'61 Reissue History
Before it was known as the SG '61, there was another SG reissue which paved the way for the current models dubbed the SG-62. This model, introduced in 1986, was a return to the classic original SG/Les Paul Standard's feel, measurements and control layout. While the outline shape of the body and the body contouring/beveling were not as graceful or aesthetically pleasing as the 1960's handmade originals, it still brought back a spirit lost with the squared, slabby 70's and early 80's models which players had missed. Changed from the original early 60's models was the installation of a stopbar tailpiece in leiu of the original's variety of vibrola tailpieces (such as the sideways vibrola, Bigsby or Maestro "lyre" Deluxe Vibrola).
In 1991 the SG-62 was discontinued but immediately replaced by the SG '61 Reissue. Cosmetically the guitar had been improved slightly but still only vaguely represented the original model. The most prominent features which separated the '61 Reissue from the originals were the cutaway (horn) tips which did not taper to a finer point on the reissue model as the originals did, and on some earlier models the cutaway beveling was far too shallow in comparison to most examples of the 1960's originals. But the '61 proved to be a hit and has remained in production since with a few changes from time to time, some of which fans and players would love to see reintroduced to their favorite axe.
By 1999 SG fanatics got two of their greatest wishes when Gibson listened to web forum members' requests to fix the '61 Reissue's slabby cutaway tips by tapering their profile, and to make available the option of an original 60's-authentic Maestro "lyre" Deluxe Vibrola (stock on Standards & Customs from '63 until '71). This produced the SG lover's dream axe and made for a fairly convincing early-to-mid 60's SG reissue. Unfortunately the Maestro option would be dropped shortly after the advent of the Historic series SG/Les Paul Standard Reissue, which despite its own historical inaccuracies remains in production. Also around the time of the Maestro discontinued, two noteworthy alterations were noticed on some '61 Reissues as late as early 2007: first was the shift back to less dramatic cutaway beveling (most noticeable on the lower horn, where it would normally meet the lines of the pickguard); secondly was the lightening/fading of the Heritage Cherry finish. In some cases the finishes appeared an orange-red, and on others it may appear a reddish-brown, but neither was the deep blood-red cherry finish SG lovers had grown to love.
As of mid 2007, it appears the more authentic darker cherry finish is showing up on more '61 Reissues and Standards, and some examples have shown the 1999/2000-era cutaway beveling degrees, which we hope will remain the standard. Sorely missed is the Maestro Vibrola option, but it remains a topic of interest in the Gibson online Forums so we will hope very soon we will at least see this as a Dealer Exclusive option so those of us who missed the boat the first time around may get one in our arsenal!
Features – 9
In this specification it has all the features I was looking for, a 61 re-issue with Vibrola. I bought the guitar second hand. It was made in USA, 2001. It weighs 7.5 lbs. (which is pretty light). It is not a exact replica of any historic 1961 Gibson SG. In fact, the features are 63-65 SG standard (except the double ring tuning keys).
I think the transformation to the SG shape is unique in the conservative world of electric guitars.
I think the transformation to the SG shape is unique in the conservative world of electric guitars.
When first released, the guitar was called a Les Paul/SG. I can't think of another example where an electric guitar underwent such radical change and yet retained the same branding. Stylistically, there are few similarities between a Les Paul and SG.
BODY
- Species: Sculptured mahogany - Reissue has more bevelling on the front, and perversely less bevelling on the back than the "slab body” Standard
NECK
- Species: Mahogany
- Profile: 1960 slim-taper. Thinner than the Standard. Marketed as “the fastest neck in the world”
- Neck Joint Location: 22nd fret - Standard joins at the 19th fret. Long Neck Tenon
- Head Inlay: Holly, Large Headstock - Reissue Holly location higher on headstock than standard, reissue has larger headstock
FINGERBOARD
- Species: Rosewood
- Number of Frets: 22
- Scale length: 24 3/4"
- Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Inlays: Pearloid Trapezoid
- Binding: Cream single-ply
HARDWARE
- Plating Finish: Nickel - Standard uses chrome
- Bridge: ABR-1 bridge - Both current '61 reissue and standard use tune-o-matic bridge
- Tailpiece: Deluxe Lyre Vibrola - Both current (in 2007) '61 reissues and standard use stop bar
- Knobs: Black Top Hat with silver inserts and knob position indicators - Standard doesn't have position indicators (I don't understand why Gibson don't put these on all electric guitars?).
- Placement and alignment of controls and output jack are closer to the edge of the guitar on '61 re-issue - the controls a placed further from edge on Standards
- Pickguard: Gibson® 1961 SG Pickguards in 5 Layer B/W/B/W/B - the Standard “bat wing” pickguard)
- Backplate: Placement and mounting as per '61 style guitars i.e. fixed with four screws - the standard backplate is different size and location and is fixed with 5 screws
- Tuners: Green Key
ELECTRONICS
- Rhythm Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker - Standard has 490R Alnico magnet humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: '57 Classic humbucker - (the original PUP was DOA so I replaced the bridge pickup with a '57 Classic Plus) The Standard has 498T Alnico humbucker
- Controls: Original two volume, two tone, three-way switch replaced with RS Guitarworks Pre-Wired Vintage/Modern SG Upgrade Kit
STRINGS
- Brite Wires .009-.042 (I use 0.010 - 0.046)
COLOR
- Nitrocellulose. The aged Heritage Cherry (the pickup routing is marked "HC") is a lighter colour than my friends Standard and my SG Classic (although strong cherry colour in natural light)
CASE
- Interior: Pink Plush
- Exterior: Brown "Cal Girl" Hard shell Case
- Silkscreen: Gold and Black 'Gibson USA' logo
Sound – 9
I play rock / blues, so the SG is a good match for the job. Humbuckers are at once familiar (I have a Les Paul and Flying V) but different. The 57's are darker, or is it the difference body? Probably a combination of both. There is a big difference between the SG neck and bridge and the over all sound is not as bright as the Les Paul. The slightly different sound allows good contrast with the ubiquitous Les Paul and Stratocaster.Initially, I wasn't getting the stunning tone the SG is famous for: aggressive rock sound, scooped mids and 'bell-chime'. While, I could hear Townshend and Clapton's woman tone (with the neck tone dialed out), my guitar sounded really dark, notes fretting out, wouldn't chord cleanly and it just didn't crunch up the way my Les Paul does. So I've:
- Replaced the faulty bridge pickup with the standard '57 classic. (Well I had to do that)
- Changed the electrics with RS Guitarworks Pre-Wired Vintage/Modern SG Upgrade Kit.
- Lowered the Neck Pickup. The pickup was too close to the strings and I think it was sucking the sustain.
- Raised the Bridge Pickup by 2 mm to balance the sound level between neck and bridge (I'm surprised how much difference 2 mm of difference made.)
- Replaced ABR-1 retaining wire. Thought it was rattling (apparently a common problem with ABR-1). Still getting rattles. Found out this was the wiring behind the control panel rattling.
- Replaced the bridge pickup with a '57 Classis Plus to increase the bridge output and bite. I wasn't sure about this move as I've heard that the hotter '57 plus pickup has more mids and lower frequencies but less treble. The bridge pickup is definitely hotter and I can't detect any loss of treble. I like it, so a good move.
- Raised the ABR-1 bridge. It was set too low, which was great for easy action but the strings were bussing and fretting out (reduced sustain) and even falling out off the saddle notches on string bends. The ABR-1 bridge needs to sit quite high off body.
- Replaced the ABR-1 with Tone Pros AVR-II. The ABR-1 is lose and moves around quite a lot in response to bends and Vibrola action. While bends are easier the strings detune due to the movement and it can sound a bit dischordant. The Tone Pro is rock solid and has made are real big difference to tone and sustain. (Pity the guitar setup guys mounted it the wrong way - i.e. screws facing the Vibrola).
- And finally, a plek and a good setup.
Current favourite effects loop: SG -> Fulltone Clyde Wah -> Planet Waves Guitar Tuner -> Keely Compressor -> Fulltone OCD -> EH Small Clone -> Keely Modded Boss TR-2 Tremolo -> Boss DD-20 Delay ->(and sometimes Fender Tube Reverb) -> Orange Tiny Terror or Fender Bassman.
The neck feels fantastic - thin, flat and wide.
The neck and body on my guitar are perfect. The body finish on my guitar is perfect (allowing minor pick scratching – it is second hand and six years old after all).
Vibrola doesn't send the guitar out of tune much at all. In fact, the SG stays in tune better than my Les Paul and far better than a Strat! Quite lucky here. Many reviews report tuning problems with Vibrola.
The guitar is a bit neck heavy but not too bad. Maybe the Vibrola weight counter balances things a bit.
The grain is not consistent through the whole body. There are couple a unusual “spots” in the grain. I guess it was made from real tree (-1).
SG neck joints are viewed as a bit suspect. The original SG Custom and Standards the mahogany tongue from the neck only extends about 3/4" inch into the body. Having said that, I've not seen many breaks at the body joint. Most breaks occur at the headstock and this is a common problem with all Gibson's. This means the neck joint is not as solid as say a Les Paul and while allowing great neck vibrato you can't get too aggressive with an SG neck. I've even seen brand new '61 reissues with small cracks in the lacquer (not through to the timber mind you) around the neck. Having said that, most SG neck failures (and Gibson in general) occur at the headstock after being dropped and the neck joint on the '61 re-issue seems quite solid extending right up under the neck pickup. I replaced the standard guitar straps with strap-locks. Essential for all Gibsons!
All the the names have played the Gibson SG including: George Harrison, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Carlos Santana, Robbie Krieger, Jimi Hendrix and the three most often associated with the SG: Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend & Angus Young. To my mind, EC and PT did their best work with the SG.
I've been playing since 1969 and enjoying guitar more than ever. My guitar collection includes most of the guitar icons: Strat, Telecaster, Les Paul, Flying V with the unusual Fender XII (most usually think of Rickenbacker as the definitive 12 string electric) “hockey-stick”and a single concession to modern guitars, PRS Custom 24.
The SG completes the set of classic guitars. It is my favourite guitar and at the moment I'm playing the SG more than any of my other guitars:
Would I buy another if it was stolen? I have many guitars. A reissue '61 SG would be the first guitar I would buy if I had to start again. My '61 is a devilish tone demon!
Action, Fit, & Finish – 9
I don't know how well was the guitar set-up at the factory. I've had to do some fixes, mods and replacements to get it up to spec.The neck feels fantastic - thin, flat and wide.
The neck and body on my guitar are perfect. The body finish on my guitar is perfect (allowing minor pick scratching – it is second hand and six years old after all).Vibrola doesn't send the guitar out of tune much at all. In fact, the SG stays in tune better than my Les Paul and far better than a Strat! Quite lucky here. Many reviews report tuning problems with Vibrola.
The guitar is a bit neck heavy but not too bad. Maybe the Vibrola weight counter balances things a bit.
The grain is not consistent through the whole body. There are couple a unusual “spots” in the grain. I guess it was made from real tree (-1).
Reliability/Durability – 9
I didn't realise until I got the guitar home and started playing that the neck pickup was stuffed. So a pickup failed after 6 years (-2). I tried to fix but eventually had to replace it. All good now. With the setup changes and fixing problems with the guitar I'm building confidence in using the guitar live.SG neck joints are viewed as a bit suspect. The original SG Custom and Standards the mahogany tongue from the neck only extends about 3/4" inch into the body. Having said that, I've not seen many breaks at the body joint. Most breaks occur at the headstock and this is a common problem with all Gibson's. This means the neck joint is not as solid as say a Les Paul and while allowing great neck vibrato you can't get too aggressive with an SG neck. I've even seen brand new '61 reissues with small cracks in the lacquer (not through to the timber mind you) around the neck. Having said that, most SG neck failures (and Gibson in general) occur at the headstock after being dropped and the neck joint on the '61 re-issue seems quite solid extending right up under the neck pickup. I replaced the standard guitar straps with strap-locks. Essential for all Gibsons!
Customer Support – NA
On past occasions Gibson have been helpful. The guitar is second hand, so there's no warranty. I did write asking for info about the serial number and model and got a response in a couple of days so I was happy for that.Overall Rating – 9
I had been thinking about getting a '61 reissue for a while. Preferred it over the standard. I didn't expect to find one with a Vibrola. Well, I got lucky with second hand price, body finish, overall guitar setup, and a Vibrola that stays in tune! One strike against the faulty neck pickup.All the the names have played the Gibson SG including: George Harrison, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Carlos Santana, Robbie Krieger, Jimi Hendrix and the three most often associated with the SG: Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend & Angus Young. To my mind, EC and PT did their best work with the SG.
I've been playing since 1969 and enjoying guitar more than ever. My guitar collection includes most of the guitar icons: Strat, Telecaster, Les Paul, Flying V with the unusual Fender XII (most usually think of Rickenbacker as the definitive 12 string electric) “hockey-stick”and a single concession to modern guitars, PRS Custom 24.
The SG completes the set of classic guitars. It is my favourite guitar and at the moment I'm playing the SG more than any of my other guitars:
- Classic SG Humbucker sound: crunch, scooped, bell-chime
- Light weight
- Great guitar feel and action
- Devilish good looks
Would I buy another if it was stolen? I have many guitars. A reissue '61 SG would be the first guitar I would buy if I had to start again. My '61 is a devilish tone demon!