Until very recently I didn't get it. What is the point of compression? Now I woundn't be without it. Of course a good amp, like lets' say a Fender Bassman will compress at volume but who wants to play at that volume all the time.Compression pedals can be used to:
- Add sustain
- Even the variation between rhythm and lead, so the change over to lead leave much less of a hole in the sound
- Even out the note to note (chord to chord) variation in volume as the strings are being hit
My main goal was to add sustain and complement my drive tone. I was inclined towards the BOSS CS-3 but picked the Marshall ED-1 (lower price and better reviews). The ED-1 gave me the points above but varied the sound, noisy at higher sustain levels and introduced "ice-picking".
Like my search for the perfect drive I been checking what a good compressor can do for my sound. The Keeley Compressor is the one that gets the marks:
- Small pedal
- Can be used as clean boost
- Great sustain
- Very little noise at high sustain levels
- No ice-picking